Friday, October 3, 2014

Week of September 29

 
This week the Peacocks started learning about the creation of the U.S. constitution.  Our reading of a Jean Fritz book all about the planning and writing of the U.S. constitution will prepare us to do some summary writing. For art, we started creating Pop Art collages using commonly recognized images from media. We also created historical postcards depicting important events from our fiction reading from September.
 
 
In our science experiment, they learned about titration! This process involves breaking down iodine into a new form by introducing vitamin C.
 
Here you can some of us testing for the vitamin C levels in lemon juice by using an iodine solution and a little starch. By testing how many drops of fresh lemon juice, orange juice, or store bought juice it takes to change the solution from purple to white, we could determine which had high concentration of vitamin C.
 
 
Below, a few of our students are creating a starch testing solution.
 
 
 
In these tests, we recorded how much vitamin C it took to clear the discoloring that iodine causes when starch is added. The results allows us to evaluate which of these vitamin C sources had the most vitamin C.
 
 
 
The week wrapped up with a big First Friday Gathering where we were joined by the Middle School students for some presentations, snacks, games, and enrichment activities.


Here are some reflections from the week:

"What I want to work on...more acts of kindness."

"I loved art this week. Art is awesome. Robert Rauschenberg is amazing."

"I'm going to improve on everything next week. You can always improve on everything."

"I think French went well this week. French was fun, very fun, and hard."

"Math is awesome. I love doing decimals."

"In math I could put in a little more effort."

"Science went well because we got to do experiments."

"Things are going smoothly this week."

"I think I have excelled at reading. "

"I think this week's homework was either simple, or I am really smart."

"Also, P.E. was really fun with Ms. Nancy, we played messy yard."

"I did my work quick. I had a lot of fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment