Friday, September 26, 2014

Week of September 22

The students finished their art projects from last week and began new ones this week.  Last week, we asked the students to do a slightly different type of self-portrait.  We took pictures of the back of their heads and had them cut out these pictures and draw what they are looking at.  The students were very creative in producing these pictures.  Here are just a few of them.  The rest are hanging in our classroom and will be put into their portfolio for the year. 







"I like the back of the head self portraits, because it is like it comes to life and you can use your imagination to draw anything you want."
 
Our new art project is working on pop art.  After a brief introduction of pop art (be sure to ask what pop art is short for), students got to create their own picture.  Using only numbers, the students used crayons and water colors to create the first of several pop art pieces.  Here are some pictures from the initial stages and some of the students' thoughts on pop art. 




 
"I am really enjoying pop art.  I think it is cool artists can take anything and make it more interesting."
 
"I really like the number pictures, because everyone can do their own thing."
 
"I love pop art.  I love the idea of popular art."
 
"I think art was fun because I never did pop art and I like to paint."
 
"I <3 pop art!"
 
"Pop art is fun because it's popular and anything popular is fun."
 
"I like pop art because you can create art from anything."
 

In math, we completed a math challenge on division.  The students were asked to think of a 3 digit number, write it twice to make a 6 digit number, divide that number by 7, divide the answer by 11, then finally, divide by 13.  The students quickly discovered a pattern.  We also asked the students to try to figure out why it worked.  Few students were able to come up with a reason, but we had lots of good thinking happening! 

"Our math challenge was so cool.  Apparently you can do any 3 digit number twice like 789,789 then divide it by 7 then 11 then 13.  It works because if you do 1,001 times 789 it will equal 789,789 and same with any number."
 
"Math was hard but it was fun."

Here are some reflections from the week:
"Art went well this week."
"I didn't bring any Seabury or Seahawks gear today because I forgot."
"What I want to work on next week is NO more run on sentences."
"I loved writing too.  It seems super exciting and I'm already on my rough draft."
"Art was bad because I don't have a vivid imagination."
"The main thing that went well this week was art."
"I am proud of cooperating with my group."
"I think I need to work on reading my historical fiction."
"What I am going to work on is taking less time doing work."
"Art and math went well this week because I made a math problem out of art."
"I should have paid more attention to my homework."
"Writing was good this week.  I made a good country."

No comments:

Post a Comment