Friday, September 13, 2013

Week of September 9th

We had great week in the Stingray classroom!  We began Mindfulness training and learned how to be aware of our breathing, all while paying attention to the amygdala part of our brain.  Ask your child about how best to do that!  We will continue to practice this all year long, but will have the training with Sol Riou for 7 more weeks. 

We also began work on our study of Evolution and how the Earth was formed.  We made a HUGE timeline of the last 5 billion years and shared it during Gathering. 





Speaking of Gathering, we also shared our optical illusion art.  We did an activity that made our hands look 3-dimensional.  They are on display in our classroom if you want to stop by and take a look. 

 


 
We also began writing an adventure story this week.  We will be working on this over the course of many weeks.  Here are some pictures of the kids hard at work on their stories and what their stories are about. 

 

 
My brother, cousin and I fall through a hole we made and we land in the middle of a forest. There is a trail we follow and we find the Land of Monster Mermaids. -S.B.

 
Rose and DD are my characters. Rose throws DD in the pool and they go down to the bottom of the pool. They keep going and end up in the ocean. -G.H.

 
My story is about a family in Hawaii and we went out to a dance. We went swimming and surfing and the water gets higher and higher. -R.S.

 
My story is about me going to a cabin and I go on a hike, but my parents leave without me and I keep on hiking. -K.M.

 
My story is about 10 boys who go to the World Series. One grabs a ball and it is actually magic. -J.T.

 
My story is about boating on Lake Chelan and it flips. Dolphins come and carry the girl to Dolphin Palace and make her queen! (Oh, and she can breathe underwater). -A.M.

 
My story is about swimming in Lake Montgomery. I found a treasure chest and fell into a hole. I wound up in front of a house with lots of doors, rooms, and stairs. -V.K.

 
The teacher reads a story of summer vacation to the class. The story becomes real and then you are in a boat that capsized in a storm ending up in Nowhere Land! -A.C.

 
My story is about going to Cannon Beach and I am surfing. This big wave comes and I fall into the water and when I come up, I am in the movie The Princess Bride. -L.R.

 
My story is about summer vacation on an island in Texas! I swam in the ocean and a lot of other things happen. -Q.B.

 
 
While bouncing on his trampoline at his house, a boy has a dinosaur falls on his head... -J.L.


We ended our week with a cooking activity.  There is a huge apple tree in the back garden, so we took those apples and made an apple crisp.  YUM!   

No comments:

Post a Comment