Friday, January 30, 2015

Week of January 26

Swim classes continued this week. The students are having a great time learning skills and playing games.  


"Something cool is that we get free time before we get out of the pool!!!"


"Swimming is really cool because you get to learn more things."


"I like swimming because in the water, you feel free."


"What I like about swim is that I can brush up on my skills."


"Something cool about swim is that I was finally able to learn breaststroke kick."


"I think learning how to do a flip turn was cool."


"The swim coaches are really nice and they teach you a lot."


"Swimming is really fun, because I get to do swim with all my friends!"


We began work on our auction project this week.  We are very excited about what we are making, 2 Little Free Libraries.  We will make one specifically for the school and another for the home of the buyer.  Check out www.littlefreelibrary.org for more information about Little Free Libraries.  

To start our project, the kids got together in small groups to design paper models of their ideas.  We have small boxes, large boxes, and even a two story model.  We will continue to build, explore, and deciding what size we want, all before the kids create plans.  Once we have the plans developed, we will help build the libraries, decide on how we want to decorate them, and stock them with some of our favorite books.  Stay tuned for more information!


"I think the Little Free Libraries will be fun and turn out well."


"I think that our Little Free Library is going to be super-awesome."


"The Little Free Library is a chance to put our heads together and think."


"Our Little Free Library is really fun and cool."


"I love the idea of our Little Free Library."


"The Little Free Library idea is a good idea because kids should be able to read for free."


This week we also had the pleasure of having one of our parents talk to us about what a lobbyist does.  The students partook in a skit to represent how bills are made and passed.  We will go to the Washington State Capital on Monday to see this in action.  


"I learned that normally the bill goes through council before the house."


"I learned that in the government, when they are making bills, they talk like they are from the 1800s."


"I learned that lobbyists represent a company."


"From the skit, I learned that a bill can be passed with a few changes."


"I learned from the skit that there is a lot more to making a law than I thought."  


"I learned what a lobbyist was in the skit."


"I learned that there is something called a lobbyist."


"During the skit, I learned that making bulls can be very frustrating."


"I learned that the lobbyists in the play went to tell Rep. Gray that it wasn't fair that motorcycle people had to wait a really long time at the light."


No comments:

Post a Comment